Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-North Carolina judge rejects RFK Jr.'s request to remove his name from state ballots -Blueprint Money Mastery
Will Sage Astor-North Carolina judge rejects RFK Jr.'s request to remove his name from state ballots
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 12:50:33
RALEIGH,Will Sage Astor N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina judge refused to take Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s name off presidential ballots in the battleground state on Thursday, a day before the first batches of November absentee ballots are slated to be sent to registered voters who requested them.
Wake County Superior Court Judge Rebecca Holt denied the temporary restraining order sought by Kennedy to prevent county elections boards from distributing ballots affixed with his name and requiring it to be removed. State law directs the first absentee ballots for the Nov. 5 elections be mailed to requesters starting Friday. A Kennedy attorney said the decision would be appealed and Holt gave him 24 hours, meaning counties likely won’t send out ballots immediately Friday morning.
Kennedy got on the ballot in July as the nominee of the new We The People party created by his supporters. The elections board gave official recognition to the party after it collected enough voter signatures. But Kennedy suspended his campaign two weeks ago and endorsed Republican nominee Donald Trump. Since then the environmentalist and author has tried to get his name removed from ballots in several states where the race between Trump and Democratic nominee Kamala Harris are expected to be close.
In North Carolina, Kennedy and We The People of North Carolina wrote to the board asking for his name be withdrawn. But on a party-line vote Aug. 29 the board’s Democratic members denied the party’s request, calling it impractical given the actions already completed to begin ballot distribution on Sept. 6. Kennedy sued the next day.
North Carolina is slated to be the first state in the nation to distribute fall election ballots. County elections offices were expected Friday to send absentee ballots to more than 125,000 in-state and military and overseas voters who asked for them. And over 2.9 million absentee and in-person ballots overall had already been printed statewide as of Wednesday, state elections Executive Director Karen Brinson Bell said in an affidavit.
The process of reprinting ballots without Kennedy’s name and reassembling ballot requests would take at least two weeks, state attorneys said, threatening to miss a federal requirement that ballots be released to military and overseas voters by Sept. 21. But Kennedy lawyer Phil Strach argued in court that Kennedy complied with state law by presenting a written request to step down as the candidate, and that there’s another law allowing the ballot release be delayed under this circumstance. Otherwise, Kennedy’s free-speech rights in the state constitution forcing him to remain on the ballot against his will have been violated, Strach told Holt.
“This is very straight forward case about ballot integrity and following the law,” Strach said, adding that keeping Kennedy on the ballot would bring confusion to voters who thought he was no longer a candidate.
But Special Deputy Attorney General Carla Babb said the confusion would occur if ballot distribution was delayed, potentially forcing the state to have to seek a waiver of the Sept. 21 federal deadline. State laws and regulations gave the elections board the ability to reject Kennedy’s withdrawal based on whether it was practical to have the ballots reprinted, she said.
“Elections are not just a game and states are not obligated to honor the whims of candidates for office,” Babb told Holt.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Today’s news: Follow live updates from the campaign trail from the AP.
- Ground Game: Sign up for AP’s weekly politics newsletter to get it in your inbox every Monday.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
In rejecting Kennedy’s request, Holt said that while the harm imposed upon Kennedy for staying on ballots is minimal, the harm to the state board with such an order would be substantial, such as the reprinting of ballots at considerable cost to taxpayers.
While Kennedy was still an active candidate, the North Carolina Democratic Party unsuccessfully challenged in court the state board’s decision to certify We The People as a party.
Kennedy on Wednesday sued in Wisconsin to get his name removed from the presidential ballot there after the state elections commission voted to keep him on it. Kennedy also filed a lawsuit in Michigan but a judge ruled Tuesday that he must remain on the ballot there.
veryGood! (68254)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Trump’s win brings uncertainty to borrowers hoping for student loan forgiveness
- Husband of missing San Antonio mom of 4 Suzanne Simpson charged with murder
- Liam Payne Death Case: Authorities Rule Out Suicide
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- San Francisco’s first Black female mayor concedes to Levi Strauss heir
- Flooding closes interstate as heavy rains soak southeast Georgia
- Judge cancels court deadlines in Trump’s 2020 election case after his presidential win
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Trump’s win brings uncertainty to borrowers hoping for student loan forgiveness
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Elwood Edwards, Voice of AOL’s “You’ve Got Mail” Message, Dead at 74
- Mother fatally shot when moving daughter out of Iowa home; daughter's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Judge cancels court deadlines in Trump’s 2020 election case after his presidential win
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Brother of Buffalo’s acting mayor dies in fall from tree stand while hunting
- Volkswagen recalls nearly 115,000 cars for potentially exploding air bag: See list here
- New Hampshire rejects allowing judges to serve until age 75
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Teresa Giudice's Husband Accused of Cheating by This House of Villains Costar
Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith Step Out for Dinner in Rare Public Appearance
Despite Climate Concerns, Young Voter Turnout Slumped and Its Support Split Between the Parties
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Tia Mowry on her 'healing journey,' mornings with her kids and being on TV without Tamera
These Chunky Chic Jewelry Styles From Frank Darling Are Fall’s Must-Have Fashion Staple to Wear on Repeat
Arizona high court won’t review Kari Lake’s appeal over 2022 governor’s race defeat